Friday, July 16, 2010

New Diagnosis and The Information Monster

First, the good news: The baby is doing great. Still growing rapidly and maintaining a strong heart rate (4.35 cm, 163 bpm). More good news: Our baby no longer has webbed fingers and toes and he/she lost its tail this week (according to the books). So that's a relief.

Now the not necessarily bad news, but I wasn't jumping up and down news: I have a new diagnosis. After a high definition sonogram with a perinatologist (high risk doctor), it has been decided that I have a large hematoma in my left horn. It is now believed that the pain and bleeding I have experienced was caused by the hematoma, not by my body's confusion over whether it's pregnant or not.

So what does this mean? It means we wait. So far the baby has been able to develop normally while sharing the uterus with this hematoma. The danger is that uterine hematomas (I believe they are technically called Subchorionic Hematomas) often cause the placenta to separate from the uterine wall. As the baby and the hematoma compete for space this becomes a bigger concern. The grand plan is quote "to watch [me] like a hawk." Which means sonograms and Ob appointments every other week.

I do not know how my bicornuate uterus factors into all of this. In my mind (which knows NOTHING about this kind of thing) I figure it has to be beneficial that there is a dividing "wall" separating the baby from the hematoma. When I actually get to speak with the doctor I will find out.

Now onto "The Information Monster". There is a fine line between being informed and freaking yourself out. Therefore, I have a new policy: The only information I care about is what I hear come out of MY doctor's mouth. It is really tempting to come home from doctors appointments and head straight to the computer to Google the strange new words they filled my head with, but not once has my Googling had a happy ending. The bottom line is every pregnancy is different. Despite what Google has to say, there are plenty of women with bicornuate uteruses who have delivered healthy, full term babies. There are also plenty of women who have delivered healthy, full term babies that shared a uterus with a hematoma.

So, I caution anyone who is tempted to Google medical information: it will most likely do more harm than good. You do not need to worry about the million and one things that could go wrong. In the event that something does go wrong, your doctor will inform you about YOUR situation.

Now, I have a favor to ask of you. Please drink a nice cold Leinie's Sunset Wheat for me (orange slice optional). Drinking water on the patio while enjoying the beautiful summer smell of neighbors' BBQs just isn't the same. I would feel better if I knew my friends and family were fully enjoying this experience with a delicious beer.

Lots of love,
Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole. We wanted to congratulate you on the pregnancy and the progress the baby is making. I know this is a very hard time for you and your family, being in a similar very high risk situation with Emery, but your continued positive attitude is the thing that will keep you going strong.

    That’s so great that you are sticking to the information only from your doctor(s) on you and baby Anspach’s particular condition because like you had said, the internet can bring down everyone’s spirits. We will keep you all in our thought and prayers and we look forward to hearing about the continued progress of you and baby Anspach…and Matt and I will each most definitely enjoy a Leinie’s sunset wheat for ya 

    Wishing you all the best,
    The Moye Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may think it's a relief to see Baby A's tail disappear, but I bet George was sad to see it go!! I think the webbed hands and feet come from the other side of the family, not mine. - Just kidding, all!! Seriously, I hope you are feeling well and this is no threat to your well being. Thank goodness you quit that job w/ the heavy lifting! Have Chris wait on you, hand and foot. We'll just wait and see what happens. . . . What will be, will be. It isn't our will, but His, that will determine the outcome of this blessed event.
    If you need any help, let me know.
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete